terminal servers and (their) flow control

Ron Natalie ron at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Sun Mar 17 14:33:12 AEST 1985

> Switches, terminal servers, intermediate hosts, etc. are all
> computers.  If they've got something to say to each other, they should
> and CAN do it out-of-band.

You missed the point.  The problem with ^s and ^q and the other things
that Barry Shein points out is that they aren't the switches, etc..
talking to each other, it is them talking to the user terminal.  The
Sytek and other networks use XON and XOFF to temporarily control the
speed of data transfers.  Most terminals do as well.  Ever use EMACS
on a VT100?  The flow control methods in RS-232C don't work over ANY
modems, and terminals are not spec'd to connect to computers directly.
That's what NULL MODEMs are for.

If you don't like, I guess you'll have to sue ANSI.

-Ron