oldest surviving Unix machine?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Mar 20 04:09:05 AEST 1985

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in locating the oldest Unix machine
that is still running Unix.  U of T's original 11/45 is idle right now
but will be running Unix again shortly; this sets a "latest bound" on
the oldest machine, since our 45 appears to have been running Unix late
in 1974.  This was one of the first 20 or so licensed Unixes outside Bell.
An older machine would have to be either inside Bell, or one of those
early few.

If the oldest machine turns out to be within Bell, I'm also interested
in the oldest non-Bell Unix machine.

Whatever machine is the oldest, it's not at the Murray Hill research
lab.  I've already asked Dennis about this; nothing in his vicinity
is particularly old.

Since PDP-7 Unix can safely be assumed to be dead, the oldest Unix
machine will have to be an 11.  Specifically, it will have to be a
45, a 40, or just possibly a 20, since our 45 pre-dates the official
announcement of the 70.

Please reply to me by mail; I will post the results.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology