4.2 tty driver bug

Mark Mendel mark at digi-g.UUCP
Sat Mar 9 03:54:31 AEST 1985

This is a rather strange one.

I'm trying to get an EMACs-like editor running (jove).  I would like to
use ^S as a command character but I want to be in CBREAK mode so I can
interrupt stuff.

What I do is set ^S & ^Q to -1 with an ioctl.  This doesn't work.  THe
output processor still knows about ^S, even though an /bin/stty shows that
^S & ^Q are undefined. BUG #1!  I can solve this, howver, by doing a
/bin/stty litout from the editor. Everything works hunky-dory. However,
when I try to set LITOUT with an ioctl as part of the editors
initialization. THe following happens:
	1) ^S still stops stuff.
	2) a /bin/stty shows that litout is on & ^S undefined.
	3) if I do a /bin/stty litout  it works... but an stty everything
	  shows NO DIFFERENCE between the settings before & after.

I have traced /bin/stty's ioctl's when given the litout parameter.  It does
the exact same sequence of IOCTLs as the editor.  But for some reason,
stty works & the editor doesn't.

Now, our system is not a full BSD 4.2.  It's a Pixel kludge alwmost 4.2.
However, a friend running full 4.2 on a VAX has reported the same strange
problem. Try it your self.

Can someone give me some C code that puts the terminal in the state I want?

Please respond via mail: I don't read unix-wizards myself.

			Thanks in advance?
				Mark Mendel
				ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!mark