setting TERM [converted to 4.2BSD gripe] (next Berkeley release)

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 12:16:08 AEST 1985

> There is additional support to run any program, not just getty, on a terminal
> line ...  Here is an example of one of our /etc/ttys files from here at MIT,
> in the new format...  In addition, opening a terminal line has been moved from
> init to getty to allow use of init as a "superdaemon" to maintain other daemon
> programs.

Well, you just sort of reinvented "/etc/inittab" from various UNIX systems,
most recently Systems III and V (but it originally appeared in, I believe,
Columbus UNIX).  They removed the terminal line opening from "init" and moved
it to "getty" (so that it can run other daemons), and set it up so that it
could run arbitrary programs, not just "getty".  They also added the notion of
"run-levels", so that there are several multi-user states which have different
processes running in them.  The S5 "init" even runs "/etc/rc" and its ilk out
of "/etc/inittab".

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy