Sun keyboard driver?

Sid Stuart sid at linus.UUCP
Fri Mar 8 07:42:06 AEST 1985

	We are trying to modify the keyboard translation table in the sun
keyboard driver. The KB(4S) manual entry claims that the ioctl call

		struct kiockey key
		err = ioctl(fd, KIOCSETKEY, &key)

will allow one to change the translation for one key. When we compile this in
a program, we get the error message that "k" is undefined. The definition of
KIOCSETKEY in <sundev/kbio.h> is:

	#define KIOCSETKEY _IOW(k, 1, struct kiockey)

Okay, so there is the "k" that is undefined, but now I am lost. I thought
the second entry to an ioctl was supposed to be an integer. Well, maybe
_IOW returns an integer, but then what should "k" be defined as, and what
should it be initialized to? We looked around and we cannot find any mention
of it in the documentation. We can't find any mention of it in the .h files
either. It looks like I will have to go into the code for the kernal and
see if I can find what _IOW is and does.

	I won't be able to do this till next week though. If anybody out
there has a helpful hint, I would really like to hear it.

	BTW, replys that tell me to call up Sun's much touted software
support number will be laughed at. The "engineer" I talked to there
wasn't much help. He did not know anything about it. He did know of
a consultant that knew about it, but he said the consultant did
not like to talk to people. The "engineer" is sending me a copy of a program
the consultant wrote that may do what I want done, but I won't know
that until it arrives via snail mail.

				Confused as usual,
				sid at linus