What's wrong with this picture (makefile bug?)

Eric Bergan eric at osiris.UUCP
Thu Mar 14 04:45:02 AEST 1985

	I seem to have run into a strange "make" problem involving user
defined suffixes. I started with a makefile:

	.SUFFIXES: .qc

	.qc.c:
		cat $< >mtest.c

	mtest: mtest.o
		cc -o mtest mtest.o

and a file "mtest.qc". If I say "make mtest" - it comes back "don't know
how to make mtest.o". However if I do "make mtest.c" and then "make mtest"
it works fine.

	If I change the makefile to:

	.SUFFIXES: .qc

	.qc.c:
		cat $< >mtest.c

	mtest: mtest.o
		cc -o mtest mtest.o

	mtest.o: mtest.c

and the only file is "mtest.qc", and I do a "make mtest", it works fine.
This happens under both 4.2 and System V. Has anyone gotten user defined
suffixes to work correctly?

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric