4.2 disk driver bug (and fix!)

dfk at unido.UUCP dfk at unido.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 00:07:00 AEST 1985

About the same thing happened when we got one of the first SC7000s from
Emulex. The MBA bytecount was off after hitting a bad block (BSE).
This doesn't happen on a SC750 we have in another machine. We checked
with another site that had an Eagle/SC7000 pair just installed:
Same symptoms.

So we assumed a firmware bug, put a quick fix in hp.c and got on the
phone to emulex. We were soon talking to someone very competent at
their London office. Although there were some relaying problems
Dortmund <-> London <-> USA they made very sure to understand the problem.
Not one word about driver kludges and "it works with VMS". If it didn't
work like DEC they wouldn't argue.

About six weeks later (remember this is Europe) we had new firmware
and now it works.

-Daniel Karrenberg <dfk at unido.uucp>

NB: I am not affiliated with Emulex, just a satisfied customer.