more parties

lauren at rand-unix.ARPA lauren at rand-unix.ARPA
Sat Mar 23 07:46:02 AEST 1985

Of course, while I didn't mention it in my last message, the
A -> B -> C chain extends down through other levels (e.g. D, E ...)
All these additional levels have the same status as "C".

To put it another way, the most important link is between A and B,
where A (the owner of the info) disclosed information to B under license.
If B gives the information to C and it gets to D, E and so on, the
information will still probably be considered to be protected, since
A was not at fault in the disclosure process.

Admittedly, this all gets very complex and can result in
exceedingly lengthy and expensive court cases, injunctions,
and things that go bump in the night.

--Lauren--

This message is a followup to a message I posted with the subject
"third parties".  If you get this one first, please wait for the
other one to arrive--then this one will make more sense.  BRL
happily sends out messages in orders other than how they are received.

--LW--