pussyfooting

jack at boring.UUCP jack at boring.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 23:31:36 AEST 1985

Well, this discussion gives me a chance to give one of
my favorite flames about unix utilities :

WHY DID THEY TAKE THE '-n' OPTION OUT OF PR AT THE V6->V7
TRANSITION??????

In 99.9% of the cases, If I want line numbers, I am making
a listing. pr -n ... ^ lpr is great, so.
Nowadays, I have to do "num foo.c ^ pr -n -h foo.c ^ lpr", or
something ridiculous like that.

Putting a -n option on cat is stupid, but it isn't neraly
as stupid as taking it out of pr, where it belongs.
--
	Jack Jansen, {decvax|philabs|seismo}!mcvax!jack
Notice new, improved, faster address         ^^^^^