shell scripts as login shells on Perkin-Elmer

Danny danny at itm.UUCP
Fri Mar 29 02:54:45 AEST 1985

In article <479 at petsd.UUCP> joe at petsd.UUCP (Joseph M. Orost) writes:
>I just tried executing a shell script via login (by setting the shell field
>of /etc/passwd to point to a file containing the following shell script:
>
>     echo "This is a shell script"
>     echo "it seems to be working"
>     echo "now let's get a shell"
>     /bin/sh
>
>) and it worked fine....

    I stand corrected.  Perkin-Elmer, I hereby formally apologize to
you for the spreading of this untruth.

    In my defense, I can only say, that on an earlier version of this
system (all derived from U*IX version 7) that I wanted uucico to run
at nice -10.  Placeing "/usr/lib/uucp/niceuucp" in /etc/passwd, as the
last field, failed to execute.  Calling it from .profile worked.
Therefore, I assumed (and we all know about assume, don't we?) that it
stayed broken.

    In the time-honored words of Peter Schekle, "Oops!".

                                            Danny
--
				Daniel S. Cox
				({gatech|akgua}!itm!danny)