UUCP & you

Eric Bergan eric at osiris.UUCP
Sun Mar 3 11:17:31 AEST 1985

> Yeah, but I bet you read the articles on UUCP in the manual set. How
> straight can you get? Who is going to know that you read the code?
> Experience is not copyrighted, patententable, or protected by trade
> secret. I suppose that if your license said you couldn't run yacc on
> Tuesdays, you probably wouldn't do it. Agreements often are more
> restrictive than they have to be in order to apply to the real misuses.
> There is a fine line between fair use and outright piracy. Try to find
> the happy medium. BTW, why do you call it UUCP? Isn't that stealing
> their name?
>
> 	jim
> */

	Is personal integrity such a vanishing quantity these days? Having
met Lauren, I suspect he did not look at the code. Having looked at the
code myself, I can state that it probably wouldn't have helped that much.
The interaction of the various parts of UUCP, particularly the 'g' protocol
itself, are arcane, to say the least.

	What I really don't understand is this attack! Lauren trys to
explain some of the facts about UUCP, and you jump all over his case. Lauren
has never tried to keep his knowledge of UUCP to himself, and has always
answered questions (including some pretty inane ones) in a professional
manner. This is, after all, unix-wizards, not net.flame.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric