TCP/IP over T1 query

Rob Fowler fowler at uw-beaver
Wed Mar 27 07:21:00 AEST 1985

I don't have the exact details and numbers at hand, but T1 is relevant to the
ARPANET.  T1 sends fixed length packets on an approx. 1.1Mbit channel.
The packet contains a number of bytes (20 sounds good), each of
which is assigned to a sub-channel.  The effect of this is that one
T1 link can be used as 20 (a guess) 56Kbit digital channels.  I assume
that this is how the dedicated channels used by ARPANET are in fact
implemented.

If you really want to get into this I suggest that you start talking
to a manufacturer of T1 equipment.  Teltone of Redmond, WA. and MICOM
both make digital T1 multiplexors of various flavors.

-- Rob Fowler (fowler at washington, uw-beaver!fowler)