laser printers and 8 bit serial

chris moore cmoore at amdimage.UUCP
Tue Mar 19 11:41:43 AEST 1985

> It seems to me that RAW mode and TANDEM mode are not necessarily orthogonal
> if you take RAW to mean that no characters have special meaning. (They
> aren't cooked.) In TANDEM mode ^S and ^Q are special. How do you pass
> a ^S when in RAW and TANDEM mode at the same time? (Such as emacs might want)
> I believe this is the case in the 4.1bsd tty driver, perhaps System 5
> is different.
>
> 		....Laurence
>
> 	{ihnp4, ucbvax, sdcrdcf, cepu}!ucla-cs!lund,   lund at ucla-cs

TANDEM mode has nothing to do with interpretation of incoming
characters.  The TANDEM mode means that the system will SEND ^S
or ^Q to regulate INPUT to the system.  I have been succesfully
talking to an HP LaserJet under 4.2bsd using LITOUT mode, no RAW
and no TANDEM.  LITOUT makes the driver send all eight bits but
still allows input processing for ^S and ^Q

--

"My system is so slow we don't use 'who' anymore - it's faster to
 walk around the building and count the users."

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore