talk program

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Mar 5 04:40:54 AEST 1985

> Is the protocol used by the talk program (for network talks)
> documented somewhere?  I was going to write network talk
> programs for Tops-20.

Unfortunately, it isn't.  Also unfortunately, "talk" doesn't understand
that there is an Internet standard byte order.  It should also have some
facilities like VMS' "phone" program, like conference calls, the ability
to inject files into the conversation, etc..  You might want to write your
own, put it back on UNIX, document the protocols, and send it to "net.sources"
as a possible replacement for "talk".

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy