Summary of responses to my question about HUSLOGIN on systemIII

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Mar 4 04:10:27 AEST 1985

> However, by removing /etc/motd and adding a few lines to /etc/cshrc
> and /etc/profile you may check for a file $HOME/.hushlogin,
> and if it is absent CAT /etc/my_motd.

Actually, there may not be any need to remove "/etc/motd".  Vanilla System
III's "login" doesn't print "/etc/motd" nor check for mail; it leaves that
up to "/etc/profile", so you could have it check for the file and only
"cat" "/etc/motd" if it's absent.  Vanilla C shells don't source "/etc/cshrc";
you'd have to modify it if it hasn't been modified already - you should
modify it anyway, because if you don't, C shell users would have to hack
their own ".login" files to get the message of the day.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy