oldest surviving Unix machine?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Mar 31 10:41:30 AEST 1985

There are indeed people within Dec who are making a serious effort to
get Unix V1 running on a PDP-7.  But my specific interest is in things
that have been running Unix all along, not Unix newly brought up on a
machine that happens to be an antique.  (Anyone for a 7094 Unix port?)

To give people a quick progress report on what I've found, the oldest
Unix machine is unquestionably within Bell.  There are still some old
11s running derivatives of the assembler version of Unix, i.e. V3 or
earlier.  Obviously they are running canned applications, not serving
as development environments.  The oldest non-Bell Unix is less clear,
and I'm still getting information on this.  Our old 11/45 has quite
definitely lost, by the way, since there were a handful of Unixes in
the field rather earlier (probably before official licensing started,
unless I've got the dates wrong).
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology