Multi-spoolers

Greg Corson milo at ndmath.UUCP
Fri Dec 19 05:42:27 AEST 1986

Does anyone out there happen to have any (hopefully free) software that
allows a single print queue to drive more than one printer at a time?

In other words...I have one print queue and several printers.  Whenever
a printer becomes free I want the next job in the queue to start printing
on that printer.  There might be as many as 3 identical printers on the
system at one time and I don't want to leave the load-leveling job to
the users.

It would be really nice if each printer could have a "forms type" indicating
the type of paper loaded.  Then jobs would go to the first printer with
the right type of forms loaded.  This could be really useful as the lab
may eventually have a Laser Printer, 3 band printers, several decwriters and
a number of plotters of different types.  It would be nice if the users
only had to remember what type of forms they wanted and have the system
route them to the right printer/plotter automatically.

Greg Corson
seismo!iuvax!kangaro!milo