csh scripts; nroff indices; children; UNIX diffs

Robert_Toxen%anvil.UUCP at harvard.HARVARD.EDU Robert_Toxen%anvil.UUCP at harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Dec 17 05:19:36 AEST 1986

I have used the following method to allow Bourne shell users to run csh
scripts without hacking /bin/sh or exec():

	/bin/csh << _foo_
	csh script
	_foo_

Subject: indices from nroff

I solved the index problem by writing a macro, which I invoked manually each
time a word should be put into the index.  This macro used the ".tm \$1 \n%"
macro to spit the word and its page number onto stderr (file descriptor 2).
I then ran this file through nroff/troff again and printed it.

Before printing it I ran it through sort and joined references to the same
word with awk and sed.  I used the line continuation sequence "\c" to inhibit
a possible page break between the word in text and its invocation in the macro.

I no longer have a copy of the scripts (sigh) but someone might be able to
talk ucbvax!olympus!glen to post them to unix-wizards.

Subject: children inherited by init

I don't believe any special action is required by a process (on V7, 4.x, or
Sys V) to allow its children to be inherited by init upon the death of said
process.  Additionally signal(2) (Sys V) says that by default a SIGCLD is
ignored.

Subject: UNIX diffs

Several papers have been published (I don't have a list).  Additionally
the manual "The UNIX Guide" by:

	Pacific Micro Tech
	5819 Poinsett Ave.
	El Cerrito, CA 94530
	415-234-2815

is quite useful.  (I don't know the price or whether it is still being sold.)

Bob Toxen
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, Mass.
{ucbvax!ihnp4}!anvil!bob        (Please use THIS address to reply.)
"unix is a subset of inextinguishable" (Concept stolen from Roy Smith.)