UUCP [ultrix] guru needed!

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP
Thu Dec 25 11:47:51 AEST 1986

In article <1269 at ncc.UUCP> lyndon at ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

>This problem seems to be generic to Ultrix UUCP. I have a h*** of a time
>passing traffic to systems running it. We run CTIX (Sys_V), and I've also
>tried it from V7 without much luck. It does seem to talk to 4.2 quite
>nicely.
>
>Again, in our case the big problem seems to be TIMEOUTs. We can usually
>push between 20 and 40 packets across, then the sender (us) starts timing
>out and resending. After a while it just gives up.
>
>One day (in frustration), I compiled the code on a non-VAX machine and
>tried it. Same result, so it doesn't look like it's a hardware related
>problem.
>
>Like the man said, HELP!
>--
>Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM)      Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.
I'm glad other people are wondering if ultrix has uucp problems.  It's easy to
convince oneself that there is some kind of problem in ultrix uucp, it's a hell
of a lot harder to prove it.

It smells a lot like a problem in error recovery somewhere.  We see the same
timeout symptom.  Of course this sort of thing only manifests itself when
your phone lines get marginal to start with.  I've also seen it on a direct
connection between our ultrix system and a box running SVr1 uucp.

I've tried the Ultrix 1.1 and 1.2 uucp's, no particular difference.  I've
patched uucico to bump the retry count from 10 to 100+, not much help.  I've
checked the object code against some of the reported 4.3 uucp bugs without
finding anything obvious.

Anybody other ultrix users whose neighbors are getting fed up with them?
Anybody with ultrix source that can do some diff's against 4.2 bsd uucp?
Anybody who has a program to analyze traces of uucp protocol exchanges?

I was hoping Fred Avolino would have a magic answer, but it looks like he's
not having problems...
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV