Fujitsu 2361's, SC7003's, 4.3BSD

Mark Plotnick mp at allegra.UUCP
Sun Dec 7 16:12:41 AEST 1986

We'd like to put Fujitsu 2361 super-eagles on our VAX 8650's.  The
company selling and installing them would like us to use Emulex
SC7003 controllers, since we can use them first on a little-used 750 to
format the drives and then on the 8650's.

The 4.3BSD hp drivers want to use 64 sectors/track (does anyone know
why they don't use 68?), and the SC7003 only provides RM05 emulations
for the 2361 in the 64 sector configuration.  the hpmaptype() routines
only handle alternate RM02 emulations, though.  While the changes to
make the drivers handle alternate RM05 emulations don't seem hard
(we've done it for the CDC 9771), I'm wondering what other people have
done.  We could just ask to use SC7002's, which do offer an 842x20x64
RM02 emulation.

Also, everyone we've talked to thinks there's a limit of 2 Emulex
massbus controllers per system, and a practical limit of 4 drives per
controller.  If this is true, what should we do when we need to
expand?  Use other vendors' massbus controllers, or add some unibus
controllers?  (for the latter, we know that UDA50's and RA81's exist -
in fact, they're the reason we're switching to Emulex/Fujitsu.)

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp