C \"quad\" declaration

eichelbe at nadc.arpa eichelbe at nadc.arpa
Fri Dec 5 10:20:10 AEST 1986

I am running 4.1 BSD UNIX on a VAX 11/780 and have the vanilla C compiler
that comes with that system.  A piece of source code I got from another
site (the author is no longer there) has a declaration of "quad" for
a variable.  The first few lines of a structure are:
struct rcthdr {
   quad rct_serialno;   /* volume serial number */
   short rct_status;    /* status flags */

Thus, it looks like "quad" means an 8-byte piece of memory (INTEGER*8 ???).

Is there any way to create such a beast by using some sort of #DEFINE or
typedef definition?  I'm only assuming that "quad" means 8 bytes, but if it
does it is consistent with VAX/VMS assembly language.  I just don't know
how to represent such a thing with my present C compiler.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

		Jon Eichelberger
		eichelbe at NADC.ARPA
P.S. I could create an array of 2 long int's, but the usage of the variable
in the code would probably not be right.  I was hoping not to screw with the
code too much.
P.P.S.  I am not on the "C" interest group list.  Anyone know the group's
name?  Thanks.