Mysterious error message: scenario please

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Fri Dec 12 13:25:51 AEST 1986

In article <1369 at umd5> don at umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
>message in response to a call to system() with a string that if typed
>by hand to a shell works just fine -- "00: is not an identifier".

Got the same message by using Bell's scheme for logging into a
chroot'ed shell in System V.  In that case, the environment var
list was trashed to put a funny SUB-LOGIN symbol.  The Bourne
shell saw this, and had fits.

System() also uses the Bourne shell, perforce (unless you've
modified it the way I did mine).  Somehow, you're getting a
weird environment string in that says "00" something.  You
may be trashing your stack.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)