process term bug, sysIII (was text: table is full)

Blackwell mdb at aicchi.UUCP
Tue Dec 9 09:29:59 AEST 1986

In article <867 at aicchi.UUCP> mdb at aicchi.UUCP (*ME*) writes:

>The bug re zombies not going away exists also in our version of
     ^^^---oops

I shouldn't really have said BUG.  This is documented in wait(2) and
exit(2) and signal(2).  I can also see *why* it happens this way.
However, it *is* an annoyance, and it *should* be stated in fork(2).
(I know, read the SEE ALSO's; but that would include the whole manual
  (1/2 :-).  The correct way to fork(2) a process that you never want to
here from again is to first signal(SIGCHD,SIG_IGN) in the parent process.
This is in both the sysIII and SYSVr2 manuals.  The child-death signal
is handled differently in BSD, so I can't speak for that.....
			Mike Blackwell
			mdb%aicchi.UUCP at seismo.css.gov
			...ihnp4!aicchi!mdb

---