ZOMBIE processes under sys5

Brandon Allbery brandon at tdi2.UUCP
Sat Dec 13 03:29:20 AEST 1986

Quoted from <165 at hqda-ai.UUCP> ["Re: Zombies ???"], by merlin at hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes)...
(after comments about ZOMBIE procs not being reclaimed by init under 4.2)
+---------------
+---------------

>From what I have observed of its behavior, sys5 init spends most of its time
in wait().  When wait() returns, it checks the pid against its internal
table as loaded from /etc/inittab; if it's not found it ignores it, otherwise
it updates /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp with the exit/termination status and does
whatever the "command" field says (respawn, once = don't respawn, etc.).  In
any case, sys5 has only the standard wait(), rather than multi-optioned and
unknown to me wait3(); as a result, when wait() returns, the zombie is gone.
(Maybe BSD init is using a wait3() option to keep the zombie around after
getting the exit status, then forgetting to issue another wait3() to clean
it up afterward?  --if wait3() can be made to work this way.  How would I
know?  The one BSD system I have access to lacks man pages [grrr].)

++Brandon
--
``for is he not of the Children of Luthien?  Never shall that line fail, though
the years may lengthen beyond count.''  --J. R. R. Tolkien

Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery at Case
7350 Corporate Blvd.	       INTERNET: ncoast!allbery%Case.CSNET at relay.CS.NET
Mentor, Ohio 44060		  PHONE: +1 216 255 1080 (home) +1 216 974 9210