Info sought on system upgrade

Mike McNamara mac at esl.UUCP
Mon Dec 15 08:18:46 AEST 1986

One thing I would highly recommend to anyone trying to upgrade their system
performance is a terminal server.  I am speaking about a box which sits on the
ethernet, allows you to plug in ~16 terminals, and allows those terminals to
communicate to any box that speaks TCP/IP.  This removes the high cost of
interrupt per character to and from your terminal, times the number of users,
which is a significant drain on your cpu bandwidth.  It also allows users to
select which machine they would like to log in to, without (a) using their
"main" host as just an rlogin frontend, or (b) requesting that system support
change their configuration.  Terminal servers also work much better than the
switchers, like Develcons.  We are using Annexes from Encore, but I think any
such products would serve well.  I am not connected with anyone who makes
anything.

--
 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated