stuff chars

brett at wjvax.UUCP brett at wjvax.UUCP
Fri Dec 12 05:57:11 AEST 1986

In article <107 at quacky.UUCP> dce at quacky.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <775 at wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> brett at wjvax.UUCP (Brett Galloway) writes:
>>In article <104 at quacky.UUCP> dce at quacky.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>>>
>>>I have never found a way to change the handling of signals such that
>>>input is not flushed.
>>
>>I think that you can use ^Y to embed a stop character in a typed-ahead
>>input stream.
>>--
>
>I stand corrected, mainly because I didn't state my case correctly.
>What I meant was that I know of no way to have a program generate
>a signal that affects a process without flushing the input. (I've
>been proven wrong...read on.)

Actually, I think there is a way (besides the kludge ^Y).  There is an
undocumented local mode bit LNOFLSH which, when set, suppresses flushing upon
keyboard signals.  It is available as 'noflsh` in stty.  If you do
a stty noflsh, then interrupts won't flush input (or output for that
matter).  Suppressing flushing output is very useful for programs that do
screen management and that trap keyboard signals; without it, the
screen management can get trashed.