Sun 3.0, Text: table is full

Matt Landau mlandau at Diamond.BBN.COM
Fri Dec 5 03:28:43 AEST 1986

In comp.unix.wizards (article <1698 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>),
flanagan at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Flanagan) writes:

>O.K.  I give up. What the heck does "Text: table is full" mean?
>
>Anyone know what's going on? It is really annoying when it starts
>happening! You can't anything done.
>
>                                       Douglas Flanagan
>                                      flanagan at amvax.tn.cornell.edu (ARPANET)

Well, the message means that a kernel table has overflowed, presumably
because there are more people (== more processes) on your machines.  We
had the same problem with our fileservers when people started trying to
use them for real work at the same time as they were servicing diskless
clients.

If you look in /usr/sys/conf/param.c (which you get even with non-source
distributions), you'll see that ntext, the number of entries in the text
table, is set to 24 + MAXUSERS.  The obvious solution is to reconfigure
your Unix kernel with a larger value for MAXUSERS.  However, this will
increase the size of a number of other kernel tables, sometimes quite
a bit.  (Nclist, for example, is based on 16 * MAXUSERS.)  If you don't
like that idea, just copy param.c into the directory used to make your
kernel and change the calculation for ntext to something more appropriate.
--
 Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.
    mlandau at diamond.bbn.com		10 Moulton Street, Cambridge MA 02238