RFS - losing disk free space count

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Dec 30 07:20:19 AEST 1986

In article <4384 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> shawn at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Shawn
>F. Mckay) writes:
>... I soon got messages saying I was out of space. In fact, doing
>a df show'd me being at 102%, 0 free. ... I ran fsck, and it said
>I had 616 free blocks. (Although df still says I have no space).

This is normal.  Read the document on the 4.2 fast file system.
By default, 10% of the free space on any file system is reserved
to the super user.  `df' hides this space, though not terribly
effectively: all one need do is add up the `used' and `avail' values
and note the discrepancy with `kbytes'.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu