UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V2#062

Jim Gettys jg at mit-eddie.UUCP
Sun Feb 2 17:36:49 AEST 1986

In article <2128 at brl-tgr.ARPA> MRC%PANDA at sumex-aim.arpa (Mark Crispin) writes:

>     You can't really blame DEC for the lack of TU81 support in
>System V and 4.2/3BSD.  You do, however, have a point about
>Ultrix.  DEC has done this [delaying the introduction of products
>for systems they are trying to kill off] many many times before.

	I believe the problem is more one of timing of releases vs. when
the hardware became available; there is certainly a TU81 driver in
Ultrix 1.2, about to go to SDC....

	You might also observe that availability of the new VaxStation
II/GPX is being quoted for Ultrix substantially before VMS.  If DEC were
attempting to kill off Ultrix, this would be unlikely behavior.....
Again, this is much an artifact of release schedules.

				Jim Gettys
				Digital Equipment Corporation
				MIT / Project Athena
				jg at athena.mit.edu