Symbolic user names and RFS

Kevin Sheehan kevin at sun.uucp
Wed Feb 19 18:56:14 AEST 1986

<take this all of you and....>

In article <1246 at ubc-ean.UUCP> sample at ubc-ean.UUCP (Rick Sample) writes:
>>Anybody know how this is handled on other networked file systems?

regards multiple UID's on multiple systems where symbolic != numeric for
their net.

>In article <674 at oliveb.UUCP> jerry at oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:

>The NFS system running on Sun Microsystems machines has the same problems,
>at least in the versions we are running at UBC.  We are in the process
>of biting the bullet and changing all machines to have the same UID/GID
>symbolic -> numeric mapping.

I dont think it has the same problem (see below), article goes on to describe
the perversion involved :-)

	If you are running NFS, (and are on a sun...) I would assume
that you are (capable of) using yellow pages (this is how you do it on other
networked file systems...) which provides for centralization (and slave caching)
of a number of just such databases - /etc/hosts /etc/passwd /etc/group, and
some other things that have proven handy.  Sun has >1000 people spread over
<favorite deity> knows how many systems, all with unique ID's.  I dont know
if it (yp) comes with (or near) NFS for you other unfortunates on other
machines :-), but I assume with RPC out there it aint real tough.
point being, it is easy on the sun (i USE it), and should be next to
easy for anyone using NFS/RPC...

			l & h,
			kev

disclaimer: speak for sun? not even when I am coherent!