Bell versus Berkeley ...

dat at hpcnof.UUCP dat at hpcnof.UUCP
Thu Feb 27 08:06:00 AEST 1986

	I recently received a copy of a paper from a chap at Apollo
Computer systems about the differences between Berkeley 4.2 and Bell
System V Unix but found that the differences I'm interested in aren't
discussed as more than an aside.

	I'm interested in finding out what system (section 2 or 3 of
the manual) routines are available in Bell V but not Berkeley 4.2
and vice versa.  The kind of information I'd like is something like;

Available on Bell but not Berkeley as C library calls;

	fmod()		modulus of two double precision numbers

	strchr(),
	strspn(),
	strcspn(),
	strtok()	various string library functions

and so on.

Why do I want this?  Because I'd like to WRITE the routines that are
available on Bell (what I use) and not Berkeley (what I wish I used)
so that the code I write can be ported easily.  I've already written
the routines indicated above...

PLEASE respond via electronic mail, since I'm not a regular reader of
this newsgroup.  If I get a significant number of responses, or a lot
of useful information, I'll write it up...

				Thanks!!!

					-- Dave Taylor
					   Hewlett-Packard

	hplabs!hpcnof!dat,   ihnp4!hpfcla!d_taylor,   hpcnof!dat at HPLABS.CSNET