Fusion for PRO 350's

paul paul at vcvax1.UUCP
Wed Feb 19 02:00:31 AEST 1986

> 	We are trying to get some form of TCP/IP
> running on our DEC pro350's.  We have the Digital
> ethernet controller for the pc's and had intended
> on running VENIX V2.0 because we were informed that
> it would support TCP/IP.  Now that V2 is on the
> market, it does not support that protocol.  Digital
> informed us to look at 'fussion', but futher
> investigation showed us that they support V2 of
> VENIX, but use the 3com controller.

Network Research's Fusion DOES run under PRO/VENIX V2, and does
support TCP/IP!  I think the confusion here is due to the
differing version numbers which DEC and VenturCom have assigned
to the product.  This table may make things clearer:

AT&T Release Name	VenturCom Release Name		DEC Release Name
  UNIX System V     ==   VENIX/PRO System V      ==     PRO/VENIX Version 2

  UNIX Version 7    ==   VENIX/PRO Version 2     ==     PRO/VENIX Version 1

Whoever told you that Fusion runs on VENIX V2 only on the 3Com controllers
was undoubtedly referring to VenturCom's VENIX/86 V2 for the IBM
PC/XT or PC/AT, not to DEC's PRO/VENIX V2 for the Pro 350/380.
(In fact, 3Com does not make an ethernet controller for the PRO).

To summarize: TCP/IP support under Fusion IS available for DEC's PRO/VENIX
Version 2 on the Pro 350/380.

Hope this makes things clearer.