vi & heavy loads

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Jul 19 16:54:03 AEST 1986

> Steps should be taken to prevent subshells spawned from vi from also running
> at -10 priority. Since we all used csh (why would anyone use the other shell
> [flames to /dev/null please])

Fine.  That statement was itself a flame; why wasn't it sent there?

> we just added 'nice 0' the our .cshrc files.
>
> Paranoid types and sh users can diddle vi appropriately.

Since this "step" is voluntary, why "should" these steps be taken?  To be
"nice" (pun only partially intended)?  Sorry, but most administrators are
probably (to use your misapplied word) "paranoid".  Any admin who sets up
"vi" to run at -10 priority (Heaven help you if it goes into an infinite
loop, unless your shell is running at better than -10 priority when you type
"kill" at it), and doesn't *enforce* that it won't give this priority to
subshells, deserves to have the knowledgable users abuse the hell out of
such a facility.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)