4.3 UDA50 problem with RA80

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Thu Jul 24 05:50:08 AEST 1986

We just brought up 4.3 BSD on an 11-785 with a UDA50 with
one RA80 (drive 0) and two RA81s (drives 1 & 2).  When we
try and make the ra0h partition on the RA80, newfs tries
to mkfs with a size of 111,202 sectors.  Mkfs very quickly
bombs with the message

	endcd=200, stat=16001

Comments in the driver indicate that this is probably a response
to an invalid command, with some mention of invalid block numbers.
We backed off on the size by 1 cylinder and did the mkfs by hand,
and the error still occured.  (We've been using this complete
partition under 4.2 for over 2 years without any problems.)
We finally backed off to a size of 100,000 sectors and all is well.

Anyone know whats going on ??  By the way, I looked at the driver's
udamicro variable and it contained 0x4063 which indicates a microcode
level of Version 3, model 6, if thats of any use.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens