BSD vs ULTRIX vs SysV

at CSNET-RELAY.arpa at CSNET-RELAY.arpa
Sat Jul 12 02:01:00 AEST 1986

I administer the UN*X side of the academic computing facility here at
Tufts University.  I am currently running two VAX 780's under 4.2BSD.
The arrival of 4.3BSD has prompted my management to take a look at alternates
to the BSD UN*X.  They keep returning to the topics: System V,  Ultrix.

I am interested in sources of information which might be useful in
helping them to decide what to do.  Is there a report comparing different
UN*X systems that I might read?  Books?  What are your opinions?

I am interested not only in functional differences,  ie this system call
vs that,  but also in less well defined differences like availability of
knowlegable personnel,  corporate software support and its necessity,  etc.

How would you begin to decide which OS a university should run?
If I receive enough interesting answers,  I'll summarize and post,  as
others will surely be faced with the same sorts of questions from the
same sorts of managers.

Kevin Sullivan
Sr. Systems Programmer
Tufts University