Heavy-duty(?) Unix Machines (Try Fairchild's CLIPPER)

Computer Science House CSH cshouse at ritcv.UUCP
Sat Jul 5 15:06:22 AEST 1986

> Does anyone have any experience with a Unix machine which can stand
> the following load and still let everyone use vi(1) without suffering
> severe frustration?
>
> - around 25 users
> - 10-20 "smallish" jobs (rn, vi, etc.)
> - 3-6 ditroffs
> - 5-10 "largish" jobs (1-4Mb range e.g. prolog, lisp)
> - miscellaneous daemons (rshd, ACSnet daemons, etc.)
> - miscellaneous tiny jobs (ls, cat, etc.)

Yes, as we currently in the prototype stage with our newest computer
system:  CLIPPER SHIP.  Our system is based around the Fairchild
CLIPPER module and is currently in implementation.  The key to our
system's performance is, of course, Fairchild's CLIPPER module and
zero-wait state memory which when combined with several high-speed
disk drives, allows for a very capable system.

CLIPPER Research Project Team

Frank Giuffrida			Computer Science House
Paul Netzband			Rochester Institute of Technology
Steven Adams			Rochester, NY 14623
Brad Werner			(716) 475-3305

UUCP:  seismo!rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!clipper