tcsh error on sun 2/50

Eric Marshall eric at burdvax.UUCP
Tue Jul 8 10:53:50 AEST 1986

        We have recently ported tcsh to our Sun 2 systems, and
we have encountered a problem when run on our 2/50s (diskless)
nodes, although tcsh works fine on our disked models. Any of
the tenex commands, when coupled with a tilde user name/file
name, apparently prevents the shell from forking, and thereby
not executing the command.  Bummer! After one of the above commands
have been executed, any other command using a tilded user
name/file name does not get executed.  Double bummer!! Any ideas?
Below is a sample.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Marshall
System Development Corporation, a Burroughs Company
P.O. Box 517
Paoli, PA. 19301
(215) 648-7223

USENET: sdcrdcf!burdvax!eric
        {sjuvax,ihnp4,akgua,cadre}psuvax1!burdvax!eric
ARPANET: PAYTON at BBNG

----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< ----- 8< -----
Script started on Thu Jun 12 09:54:25 1986
%  tcsh -f
% ls ~eric                                   # this works
Valley.order    argus           comm            misc            tcsh
activity        argus.info      compilers       prop            trash
ada             bin             cse             ron.wagner      typescript
ada.technology  binary          demo            sockets         wants
ah              book            images          src             xref
alsys           books           mbox            ssags
% ls ~eric/V^[erdix.order                    # used ^[ after 'V'
% ls ~eric                                   # this used to work!
% ls ~                                       # this works
Valley.order    argus           comm            misc            tcsh
activity        argus.info      compilers       prop            trash
ada             bin             cse             ron.wagner      typescript
ada.technology  binary          demo            sockets         wants
ah              book            images          src             xref
alsys           books           mbox            ssags
% ls ~/                                      # and so does this
Valley.order    argus           comm            misc            tcsh
activity        argus.info      compilers       prop            trash
ada             bin             cse             ron.wagner      typescript
ada.technology  binary          demo            sockets         wants
ah              book            images          src             xref
alsys           books           mbox            ssags
% exit
script done on Thu Jun 12 09:55:32 1986