ranlib and ``ucb''

D.B. Robinson dbr at foxvax5.UUCP
Tue Jul 8 22:05:00 AEST 1986

<object library sacrifice>

Now that System V no longer supports ranlib(1), what happens to the code
in libraries that have cycles in their references?  By cycles I mean:

	file x.c:
		rock() {
			hardness();
		}

	file y.c:
		hardness() {
			rock();
		}

These sort of things do happen.  This is a fairly simple case of
a cycle.  Three or more levels can and do happen occasionally.
The lorder(1) and tsort(1) pair that existed previously gave error
messages in this case.  Ranlib was a must if you happened to put
the *.o in the opposite order from the call used when linking (i.e.
main() calls hardness(), but x.o is in the archive before y.o).

Are these cases still covered?  I expect so, but how?

Douglas Robinson	jobs don't kill programmers, programmers kill jobs
The Foxboro Company
MS 04-3A		cybvax0!foxvax5!dbr
38 Neponset Avenue
Foxboro, MA 02035	617/543-8750