BSD vs ULTRIX vs SysV

rbj at icst-cmr.arpa rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Wed Jul 16 07:50:56 AEST 1986

	I administer the UN*X side of the academic computing facility
	here at Tufts University.  I am currently running two VAX 780's
	under 4.2BSD.  The arrival of 4.3BSD has prompted my management
	to take a look at alternates to the BSD UN*X.  They keep
	returning to the topics: System V,  Ultrix.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 4.2 -> 4.3 should provide the
least disruption and the most modern system. Your students are
probably used to source as well. At least they're all UNIX.

	I am interested in sources of information which might be useful
	in helping them to decide what to do.  Is there a report
	comparing different UN*X systems that I might read?  Books?
	What are your opinions?

There is a report comparing an old version of BSD (4.1?) with an
old Version of System V (5.0?) (or is it SYS III?), but obviously
you are interested in something more recent.

	I am interested not only in functional differences,  ie this
	system call vs that,  but also in less well defined differences
	like availability of knowlegable personnel,  corporate software
	support and its necessity,  etc.

With System V, you probably won't be able to send this mail the
same way and will be forced into using UUCP. BSD (and obviously
ULTRIX) will allow you local networking on an ethernet cable,
thereby creating your own version of an ARPAnet, even if you
don't have an IMP.

4.3 has been enhanced quite a bit and is faster.

I find support relatively unnecessary, especially in a University
environment. You should find lots of gurus in Beantown.

	How would you begin to decide which OS a university should
	run?  If I receive enough interesting answers,  I'll summarize
	and post,  as others will surely be faced with the same sorts
	of questions from the same sorts of managers.

I wouldn't give TPC the satisfaction. Switching from BSD to System V
is like jumping from the NFL into the USFL.

	Kevin Sullivan Sr. Systems Programmer
	Tufts University Medford, MA 02155
	ARPA: kjs%tufts at CSNET-RELAY	BITNET: kjs at tufts

Any relation to the Pats owners?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Was my SOY LOAF left out in th'RAIN?  It tastes REAL GOOD!!