Looking for Real Time Unix

Walter R. Underwood wunder at hpcea.HP
Thu Jul 3 04:35:59 AEST 1986

HP-UX is a real-time Unix.  I am not a real-time wizard, but people
here have a lot of experience with real-time OS's, and put a lot of
careful effort into this kernel.

There was a paper on the subject at the Atlanta Usenix, "Decreasing
Realtime Process Dispatch Latency through Kernel Preemption." The work
was done for the Spectrum kernel (HP9000 Model 840, a hot machine), and
I don't know if it has made it to the 68000 kernel.  The 68000 machines
(HP9000 Model 320) do have real-time stuff, I just don't know whether
they have kernel preemption.

Walter Underwood
Not an official spokesman for
Hewlett-Packard