4.2 VAX TCP/IP or driver problem

Paul Manno paul at msdc.UUCP
Wed Jul 9 08:44:08 AEST 1986

We have been experiencing an irritating problem with the TCP
ethernet on our 4.2BSD (BRL's) VAXen, all running DEUNAs.
If there is a known 4.2 solution to the following (other than
use 4.3) or if there is a helpful person out at BRL reading
this, please respond by mail.  It happens to 750s and 785s.

Periodically, one of the systems' ethernet output gets clogged
and all its ethernet output ceases.  The system will continue to
receive packets (rwho, etc.).  However, nothing goes out the
interface.  A "netstat -m" tells me that there are still free
mbufs and memory available.  The "mon" program reports 50 packets
in the device output queue and no output.  An "rlogin localhost"
will work normally on the failing system.  Any pings to the failing
system from a working one will lose all packets.  Usually, this
occurs without any console messages although in rare cases, the
message "de0: buffer unavailable" is seen.  Other systems on the
net continue to operate normally.  My only known cure for this
condition is to reboot.

Please respond by mail if you have any information (indirect
pointers welcomed) about this problem.  Thank you.

	Paul Manno	Medical Systems Development Corp.
	...{akgua, gatech, ihnp4, mcnc}!msdc!paul