DST changes - a solution exists

guy at sun.UUCP guy at sun.UUCP
Sat Jul 12 04:27:16 AEST 1986

> 	Well I devised a new approach to the problem.  Just like
> 	the old days on UNIX, you had to re-compile the accounting
> 	software for holiday changes.  Now there's a holiday table
> 	that can be edited for the necessary changes.  Well I took
> 	a similar approach to ctime.c(3c).

Arthur D. Olson came up with such a scheme; his scheme is more general than
the pre-4.2 "ctime", and even more general than that one.  It looks like it
can handle non-US time zone stuff correctly, and doesn't require you to get
TZ set in the environment.

I believe his source was posted to "net.sources" or "mod.sources".

> 	The only problem (which is a MAJOR one), is that all current
> 	programs that utilize ctime() must be re-compiled !!!!
> 	Boy what a job that could be.  I wonder if anyone else has
> 	a better idea ??

Nope.  However, maybe all vendors will come out with new releases before it
hits us.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)