crontab and rsh

Ron Schweikert ron at nbisos.UUCP
Fri Jul 25 07:19:34 AEST 1986

Haven't seen the problem discussed here before, if it has been, I apologize.
(Relatively new reader of newsgroup)

I have two systems running under 4.2 BSD.  For various reasons, I wanted one
system's crontab execute a command on the other.  Syntax was basically:

15 20 * * 1,2,3,4,5 rsh sysname /usr/test/src/script

This works just fine manually entering "rsh ...etc", but crontab just won't
run it, it totally ignores it.  We do a simple workaround of putting the rsh
command in a seperate script on the local machine and having crontab execute --

15 20 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /usr/local/bin/script

with the "script" being   #
                          rsh sysname /usr/test/src/script

and it works fine.  No real big deal since the workaround works, but when
playing with crontab, the other one sometimes works (?!).  Any ideas?
Is my syntax weird?  Do crontab and rsh have something against each other :-) ?

Appreciate your input.

--
...{allegra|hao|ucbvax}nbires!nbisos!ron (USENET)