Multiple Unix Universes

Rick Genter rgenter at BBN-LABS-B.arpa
Thu Jul 31 23:08:40 AEST 1986

Guy Harris writes:

> The point is that you *can't* hide the differences.  You *have* to choose
> one version of "init", for instance.  And you either have to choose one
> version of UUCP or have the administrator support both.  It's not clear that
> a 99% solution is enough better than a 97% solution to justify all the extra
> gore needed to get that last 2%; the law of diminishing returns takes over.
> There ain't no 100% solution.
> - --
> 	Guy Harris
> 	{ihnp4, decvax, seismo, decwrl, ...}!sun!guy
> 	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)

There is a 100% solution, though as far as I know no one has actually
implemented it yet.  See my paper "Unix as a Virtual Machine Environment"
from the Atlanta Usenix Proceedings.
--------
Rick Genter 				BBN Laboratories Inc.
(617) 497-3848				10 Moulton St.  6/512
rgenter at labs-b.bbn.COM  (Internet new)	Cambridge, MA   02238
rgenter at bbn-labs-b.ARPA (Internet old)	linus!rgenter%BBN-LABS-B.ARPA (UUCP)

I wonder if I could ever get started in the credit world?