Unix Makefile

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Fri Jul 4 14:34:06 AEST 1986

> ...We're running on System V and have all the proper modifications as
> Chris has instructed.  However, when running the makefile to compile the
> source, the following sequential makefile lines generate the following
> error messages:
>
>           ranlib scclib.a
> Make:  Cannot load ranlib.  Stop.
>
>           ucb ranlib scclib.a
> Make:  Cannot load ucb.  Stop.

"ranlib" is done automatically by the System V "ar" command.  The "ucb
ranlib" must be there for the benefit of Pyramid systems, where you must
prefix the name of any command not found in System V, but found in 4.2BSD,
with "ucb" if you are running in the System V universe (don't ask).  This
is a tad bizarre; either 1) in the S5 universe, "ar" doesn't generate a
table of contents, in which case why the heck isn't "ranlib" accessible
in both universes, or 2) in the S5 universe, "ar" *does* generate a table
of contents, in which case why the heck are they bothering with "ranlib"?

In short, blow both the "ranlib" lines away; you don't need them.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)