ranlib and ``ucb''

W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235 whp at cbnap.UUCP
Fri Jul 11 00:40:08 AEST 1986

In article <292 at foxvax5.UUCP> dbr at foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson (Douglas)) writes:
><object library sacrifice>
>
>Now that System V no longer supports ranlib(1), what happens to the code
>in libraries that have cycles in their references?  By cycles I mean:

ranlib is no longer needed because its job is being done by the new ar, so
cycles within a single archive library are indeed covered.  The "lorder|tsort"
stuff is for efficiency only.

A more interesting problem is with cycles between archive libraries.  In this
case there are two solutions (short of restructuring the libraries); the
easy one is to list the offending library twice on the cc (or ld) command
line (e.g., "cc ... x.a y.a x.a").  A better solution is to use the "-u<sym>"
option to ld, which causes <sym> to be undefined *before* any libraries are
scanned.

W. H. Pollock,
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,cbosgd}!cbnap!whp
DELPHI:	WHP
GEnie:	W.POLLOCK

	"The opinions expressed above are ficticious.  Any resemblance
	to the opinions of persons living or dead is purely coincidental."