terminfo, termcap, etc

Jay Batson jay at isis.UUCP
Fri May 23 13:35:15 AEST 1986

In article <1119 at whuxl.UUCP> mike at whuxl.UUCP (BALDWIN) writes about
termcap v terminfo, responding to the following complaint about the
difficulty of modifying terminfo:

>>-- PARICULARLY when AT&T then doesn't include the
>>sources to the terminfo descriptions. As shipped, the description for
>>the DMD5620 is noticibly broken....
>
>Give me a break.  The format is documented and easy to parse, and anyway,
>with SVR3 you get the infocmp(1) program, which dumps a terminfo entry
>in a form suitable for editing and recompiling via tic(1).  What the
>hell more do you want?  And my 5620 terminfo entry works fine (I'm using
>it right now).

Of course.  And the world is supposed to come to a halt and not
write/modify any more terminal definitions (read "buy only terminals
which AT&T wants to care about) until SVR3 is widely distributed.  Come
now - how many SV/SVR2 UNIX's are out there now?  More importantly, do
you have to deal with a customer who calls and says "this terminal screen
is doing strange things"????  Lots of us out here do, and for the realistic
future, termcap stays THE terminal database for my (current) money.

Jay Batson
Energy Logic Systems, Inc.
seismo!hao!isis!jay
hplabs!../