NFS on VAXEN (summary)

Steve Rumsby steve at warwick.UUCP
Mon May 12 01:51:07 AEST 1986

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information about NFS on
VAXEN. John P. Nelson (jpn at teddy.uucp) requested that I summarize
a way of thanking people individually, I've included all messages
recieved to date (see below). For those who don't want to plough
through all of this, a quick summary is:-

	. if you are a 4.3beta site you can get it from Univ. of Wisconsin
	  (contact beebs@{crys.wisc.edu|rsch.wisc.edu} or uwvax!beebs)

	. Mt. Xinu have it for 4.2 and are (about to start) working on
	  a 4.3 version
	  (contact ucbvax!mtxinu!mtxinu)

	. If you want to do it yourself, Sun will sell you the
	  "portable NFS" code for $1000 (educational price, don't know
	  what commercial price is). Btw, for '$' read dollars or
	  pounds depending on the country you are in; the figure is the
	  same!

From: David Parter <david at rsch.wisc.edu>

The University of Wisconsin -- Madison willbe making a source distribution
including 4.3 and NFS for vaxen. Until 4.3 gets released, it is a 4.3BETA
ONLY release, to 4.3BETA sites only.

mail beebs at crys.wisc.edu for more details.

david

From: jim at cs.strath.ac.uk
Full-Name: Jim Reid

SUN will supply NFS for VAXen if you ask them nicely. We did, paid them
about #1000 for a licence and eventually received the sources at the end
of last week. I will be installing them next week and I'll let you know
how I get on. There seems to be quite a few changes to be done......

		Jim

From: Jim Lowe <uwmacc!uwmcsd1!james at rsch.wisc.edu>

Some people in Madison ported NFS to 4.3bsd and have a release available.
You should be able to send mail to beebs at rsch.wisc.edu for more information.

		Hope this helps,
			-Jim

From: Tony Begg <tony at ee.brunel.ac.uk>

[...]

Steve

Mt Xinu (see end of e-mail) do an implementation of NFS for the VAX and prior
to Florence I thought this was the only way to get it in a form not requiring
too much work. However, talking to Andy Rutter of The Instruction Set (tel
01 482 2525), I discovered that for academics, the Sun source is available
from them (TIS) and that it contains all the porting code. You will need to go
to 4.2 BSD then port NFS as you suggest. You will need to do it all again later
for 4.3 BSD since the 4.3 BSD networking code is quite different - the porting
code for 4.3 BSD will be available in the next release of the NFS source
(September?). Apparently you first build a "V-node Kernel" running with the
local 4.2 BSD filesystem with inodes changed to V-nodes, then add the NFS
server code. Cost is $1000.

One thing you may need to consider is that the NFS currently requires a flat
UID/GID space and you may have to rationalise your VAX and Sun password files
and user file systems to achieve this. Sun are working on an alternative
authentication scheme which allows login to the *network* but this is scheduled
for Sun 4.0 (end 86? - Sun 3.2 is scheduled Summer 86) and will be too late for
us.

I have asked The Instruction Set for the requisite forms, and expect to be
doing this myself soon. We are planning to have an NFS over the whole campus,
but the flat UID/GID space is a real headache. We will start with EE & E.

Regards
Tony

(give my regards to Jeff)
>From reading!mtxinu!alan Sat Jul 13 23:16:55 1985
>From: <reading!mtxinu!alan>
>Date: Mon, 8 Jul 85 09:27:35 pdt
>To: brueer!tony
>Subject: NFS for VAX
>Cc: mcvax!alan

Dear Mr. Begg:

Thanks for your inquiry on NFS for VAX.  We are indeed licensed by
Sun to provide a full implementation of the NFS which they originally
developed.  Since we won't be releasing this before August, I'll send
you fuller paper mail today with details.  Here are the most important
points:
	-NFS will be available to source sites as a set of linkable
	 object modules (we're not licensed to distribute source).
	-We expect to establish substantial educational discounts
	 for this software but have not yet done so.
	-Established list prices are dependent on machine type:  for
	 VAX 730, $4000; for VAX 750, $6000; for VAX 780/785, $9000.
	-We will have a microvax2 implementation available in the fall,
	 for which we expect to have a direct British distributor.
	-As an educational institution, you may purchase NFS source
	 directly from Sun for a nominal amount.  A caution here:
	 Sun's "NFS" source is intermixed with a good bit of other
	 work on 4.2, and sorting that out takes substantial work.
	 If you're interested, your Sun distributor should contact
	 Bill Keating at Sun's Mountain View, Calif. headquarters.
	-We are a beta site for the 4.3 release, have just received
	 our tape and will begin integrating it at a slightly lower
	 priority than our work on NFS.  It would be a reasonable
	 bet -- though certainly not a sure thing -- that our
	 NFS modules would not require modification to work with 4.3.
I'll let you know when we have educational prices established, and
we should shortly have a firm date for availability.

		Regards,

		Alan Tobey
		Marketing Manager, Mt Xinu

From: Mike Meyer <mikem at stat.wisc.edu>

Here is the announcement (which I saved).
--Mike

From: Dave Cohrs <dave at uwvax.uucp>

> Thus, the whole point of this article is to ask if any of
> you kind people out there would care to remind me of {any|every}thing
> that was said about NFS on VAXEN, and which I've now forgotten.

We've got it.  If you want it, contact Paul Beebe (...!uwvax!beebs)
about getting our port.

BTW -- do you have a 780?  We are using a 750 as a server now, and it's
a pig.  Of course, if you are only using it to serve two machines, you
shouldn't have any problem.  We're trying to have a little 750 serve 15
uvaxen, and it's hopelessly overloaded.  The port seems pretty good
though (you need 4.3).

Dave Cohrs

From: Matt Crawford <matt at oddjob.uucp>

When 4.3 is released (or should I say "if"?) you can get it
from Mt. Xinu with NFS already rolled in.  The academic price
for single-source-with-right-to-make-binaries-for-many-hosts-
at-your-site will be US$3000.  Contact ucbvax!mtxinu!mtxinu or
call +1 415 644 0146.
Matt		University	crawford at anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

From: Yoichi Shinoda <kddlab!koudai!shinoda at koudai.cs.titan.junet>

Steve:
    You can get full implementation of BSD4.3 w/NFS from Mt.Xinu for Vaxen.
You can also have source codes of NFS for Suns and Vaxen from Sun Microsystems
at the university discount rate. ( I thought it was around 2000 U.S.$. )

					Yoichi Shinoda
					Tokyo Institute of Technology
					Department of Computer Science

Steve Rumsby.