telnet problem

Dennis Chen dchen at oliveb.UUCP
Sat May 17 08:11:21 AEST 1986

We have a very serious problem of 'telnet' program in our VAXen 11/{750,785}
4.2 BSD Unix.  The symptom seems to me is flow control problem (lost
characters, gobble the screen when cat'ing file).  The followings are
the tests dealt with the 'telnet' program:

Flow control problem occurs with any of following tests:
	1.  Use a VT100, "telnet" from VAX 11/{750,785} 4.2BSD Unix to
	    VAX 11/{750,785} 4.2BSD Unix
	2.  Use a VT100, "telnet" from VAX 11/(750,785} 4.2BSD Unix to
	    VAX 11/750 VMS with Wollongong Group TCP/IP
	3.  Use a VT100, "telnet" from VAX 11/{750,785} 4.2BSD Unix to
	    VALID workstation based 4.2BSD Unix. And vise versa.

NO flow control problem with any of following tests:
	1.  Use a VT100, "telnet" from VAX 11/750 VMS to VAX 11/750 4.2BSD Unix
	2.  Use an IBM PC or Olivetti M24 PC with kermit, "telnet" just
	    works fine between two VAXen running 4.2BSD Unix
	3.  Use an IBM PC or Olivetti M24 PC with kermit, "telnet" just
	    works fine between VAX 4.2BSD and VAX VMS.
	4.  Rlogin between two VAXen 4.2BSD Unix

>From test 1. I can tell there is no problem with the telnet server, "telnetd".
Therefore, I would suspect there is flow control problem somewhere either in
"telnet" or serial line driver.

Note that all the serial interface cards we used are DH/DMs, and the
ethernet boards we used are either 3COM or Interlan.

Has anyone in the net has this problem ? Any suggestion would be greatly
appreciated ?
			Thanks in advance

			Dennis Chen
{allegra, fortune, glacier, hplabs, ihnp4}!oliveb!dchen