problems with Kennedy tape drive hu

paul paul at vcvax1.UUCP
Fri May 2 23:55:52 AEST 1986

> We have a Kennedy 9100, three 9300s and two 9400s ...
> The major problem that we have had is the "cold roll pin" that acts
> as a hinge pin for the pressure lever wears and breaks. We found a
> good solution for this. The last time one broke, we took a drill bit
> of the correct diameter, ground a groove around it on the end that
> would chuck up in the electric drill, and then snapped it off at the
> grove, to make a hard solid pin to replace the cold roll pin ...

Same problem happened to me.  I called up Kennedy for a replacement
part; they were very courteous, and informed me that a replacement
pin could be purchased as part of a hub assembly kit that sold
for ~$30.  Normal delivery was around 60 days, however -- but
if I neeeded it immediately (I did) I could get a rush delivery,
at an additional $75 or so.

Since $105 was more than I wanted to pay for a small 3/4" metal pin, I
went to a local hardware store looking for an alternative.  I almost
bought a small drill bit, too, but found something I liked even better:
a nail.  I cut the ends, and it fit perfectly.  Total price: $0.00
(very friendly hardware store).  As a matter of fact, they gave
me two nails for the same price -- I'm keeping the second one as a spare.